Saturday, August 1, 2009

Breastfeeding could save 1.3 million child lives: WHO

WHO says that breastfeeding saves lives and most women don't get the support they need to do it. We as mothers and fathers need to encourage others to breastfeed. It not only saves lives, but also builds minds and bodies. For those who want to go "green" what better way to start than with a natural birth and feeding.

You can read the article here:

Teaching new mothers how to breastfeed could save 1.3 million children's lives every year, but many women get no help and give up trying, the World Health Organization said on Friday.

Less than 40 percent of mothers worldwide breastfeed their infants exclusively in the first six months, as recommended by the WHO. Many abandon it because they don't know how to get their baby to latch on properly or suffer pain and discomfort.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Hi Dorene!

I am happy to report that I am still breastfeeding and my baby is turning 1!! I never thought I could do this for so long and I am LOVING it!!!! We had a few bumps in the road along the way but it has truly helped for me to stay home. When I was working full-time I didn't have the time/energy to pump during my 25 min. lunch break and my milk supply greatly suffered.

So thank you for your encouragement, your sharing of yourself, time, and talent, and for educating us women so that we are empowered to give birth naturally and to breastfeed!

Dorene Vaughn said...

Bianca,
I am so proud of all that you have done with all of our kids.

I am lucky in what I am doing because I get to meet women like you.